RUINS OF JOHN AND BETTY'S CABIN
According to the Chronicles of the John More Family published in 1955, John and Betty and their two eldest children, John T. and Robert, arrived in New York City during the winter of 1772 to 1773. In the spring they came by sloop to near Catskill, New York. From there they traveled the crest through Windham to the Schoharie [river], through Prattsville, to what was to become Moresville [now Grand Gorge].
From Moresville (as yet uninhabited and unnamed) they followed a trail until coming to the west of Stamford Mountain and crossed into the valley to the west branch of the Delaware River. Crossing the river, they followed the trail down the Township Creek to a stop that pleased them -- near the present site of Hobart, New York.
At this spot, the family settled and built a cabin of logs covered with bark. For four years the family lived a solitary existence here, visited occasionally by hunting Indians who were "kindly received and given the white man's bread."
They lived there until about 1777 when they were warned of an impending Indian attack by their friend, Indian Chief Joseph Brant. It was on this flight to safety that Alexander (nicknamed "Sandy") slipped from Betty's arms and was rescued from the Bearkill Creek -- an important event in the children's booklet published by JMA entitled John and Betty Stories -- especially for descendants of Alexander!
Location: Near Hobart, New York.
Directions: From Hobart, go south on Route 10 to Gunhouse Hill Road. Travel 1.5 miles and left onto Reed Road. The ruins are .35 miles up the road in a pasture on the right side near mailbox #369. The rocks may not be visible from the road in summer due to trees lining the road.
Affectionately called "the pile of rocks" by JMA descendants, this site (pictured right) is all that is left of John and Betty's original cabin and currently lies on private property. The rocks are believed to be either part of the cabin foundation or part of the stone fireplace and chimney.